Wednesday, March 19, 2014

DUDE, THIS SUMBA, NOT SUMBAWA!

In the middle of May 2012, I got a job assignment to cover a story about local religion at Sumba Island, East Nusa Tenggara (Lesser Sunda). Preparing everything to visit this island is already making me stressful because it's such a secluded island and the information about this island especially in Indonesia language is extremely limited.

I have to search on all flight website that exist in Indonesia, even the small and private ones, just to find is there any flight to Tambolaka airport at West Sumba or Waingapu airport at East Sumba region. After looking for almost 2 weeks intensively, finally I found out that there were only 3 flight company has a schedule to this island, Batavia air, Lion air, and Merpati airlines. Too bad, a few month ago, Merpati airline were bankrupt so right now there were only Batavia air and Lion air.
Tambolaka airport at West Sumba, East Nusa Tenggara Province



Lion air is the only flight that flew directly from Jakarta to Sumba island,  If you using Batavia air from Jakarta, you will have to transit at Surabaya, East Java or Denpasar, Bali.  It's also not a daily flight, you must check the flight schedule. The only daily schedule to this island is from Denpasar, Bali, once a day, at 1 pm. (please check and re-check the flight schedule if you wanna visit this island)

When my friends at office knew that I will visit Sumba island, they were so excited and start asking or begging me to buy some stuff from this island.

My friend :  "Endah, you are going to Sumbawa, right? don't forget to bring home the wild horse milk and Sumbawa honey" *talking excitedly*

FYI, In Indonesia, Sumbawa island was famous with their product of milk from the wild horse *still trying to figure it out how they could milking a wild horse* *I think it's just a brand* and honey *some people said that honey from this island has a certain savor* *personally, i didn't know that, for me, honey is honey!*

Me : "Man, I'm going to Sumba island not Sumbawa" *talking with a flat face*
My friend : "Sumba? Sumbawa? Girls, you can't fooled me. That's the same island, Sumba island complete name is Sumbawa, right?!" *still excited*
Me : "Dude, it's Sumba island at East Nusa Tenggara province, Sumbawa island was placed at West Nusa Tenggara, it's different island and different province, for God's sake!" *scratching my head, rolling my eyes and then walk away*
Sumbawa island at West Nusa Tenggara and Sumba island at East Nusa Tenggara
Come on, guys! I know Indonesia has more than 17.000 island, but you are Indonesian citizens, do some research, man! How many times I have to says that I will be visiting Sumba island, not Sumbawa! I already told you before, so many times, that it's a different island. Geez..!!  (EKW)


No comments:

Post a Comment